About The NESS Scholars Foundation
Previously known as the Charitable Foundation, the newly renamed New England Surgical Society Scholars Foundation was established in 1985 and is a 501(c)(3) non profit organization.
Mission Statement: The Scholars Foundation exists to provide financial support to enhance the clinical and educational opportunities of the membership of the NESS in their efforts to strengthen the discipline of surgery in New England.
Activities currently supported include:
- NEW Scholar Research Grant
- Advances innovative surgical research via multiyear support
- NEW ACS/NESS Health Policy and Management Scholarship
- Allows development of socioeconomic expertise within the society, via an annual scholarship to subsidize attendance and participation in the Executive Leadership Program in Health Policy and Management at Brandeis University
- Spring Resident and Fellow Research Presentation Day
- Promotes the professional development of young surgeons
- Annual Samuel Jason Mixter Lecture
- Expands the understanding of the national surgical environment
- Nathan Smith Award
- Acknowledges the distinguished service of an NESS member
- New Member, Resident Essay, and Best Poster Prizes at the Annual Meeting
- Acknowledges scholarship to the discipline of surgery
It is anticipated that an increase in the Foundation's endowment will also allow support for future activities such as a third world surgical mission
and individual state educational grants
to support MOC CME requirements.
Donating to the Scholars Foundation:
The Foundation has established NEW Contribution Levels to support its mission. A memberís donation level is cumulative, determined by the sum total of all his/her donations over time
|Samuel Jason Mixter Leader
|Nathan Smith Sponsor
The NESS Executive Committee encourages NESS members to make annual donations to this important resource. Please note that contributions can also be made through the purchase of the official necktie, bowtie, or scarf of the organization, as a portion of those proceeds are automatically transferred to the Foundation. The Foundation also gratefully accepts: donations made in honor or in memory of a friend or loved one; gifts made from donated honoraria; and planned gifts such as bequests, charitable remainder trusts, life insurance, gifts of appreciated securities, and IRA transfers.
» NESS Members may donate by credit card via the Members Only Area; to donate by check (or to donate with credit card by mail), please download the Contribution Form
» To purchase neckwear, please download the
Neckwear Order Form
» To donate appreciated securities, tribute and memorial gifts, honoraria*, and planned giving vehicles, please contact the Scholars Foundation, via telephone at (978) 927-8330 or e-mail.
* Did You Know? You can reduce taxable income and help the Foundation further its mission by requesting that honoraria received for giving lectures, traveling guest faculty, awards, etc., be directed to the Scholars Foundation; instruct the payee to remit your honorarium directly to the Foundation.
Thank you for your contribution!